Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Finger Painter who Fingered the Competition for the Number 1 Spot.

No one is surprised. The odds were in his favor and he came through. Timmy Jacobson, 3rd grader at Mendota Elementary School, was crowned for the second year in a row state finger-painting champion. After a semester and half, hours upon hours of training, Timmy was unanimously voted the number one.

“I mean, I knew it was going to happen, just look at the competition.” Jacobson modestly commented. The competition he is referring to were two other 3rd graders from different schools in the state: Terrell Hampton from McKinley Elementary in Wauwautosa and Cammie Smith from Lincoln Elementary in Green Bay. Cammie Smith was the underdog going into the competition. She skipped second grade, making her younger and a bit more amateur, but she has a lot of potential.

“It’s stinky.” Remarked Cammie. “He’s a stupid-head and I should have won.” Cammie remains bitter and she said it will take a long time to get over this.

Timmy Jacobson, as cocky as he is, has the right to be so. While other kids are playing with Transformer toys or playing on the monkey bars, Jacobson is in his own personal art studio finger painting. He has been trained by world-renowned 65-year-old Slovakian finger painter, Ján Palach; not to be confused with the Czech student Ján Palach who set himself on fire to protest the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia.

“He’s talent. I’ve trained countless finger painters, but this kid’s different.” Ján remarked. “I’ve haven’t seen such technique and graceful fingers since Mario Apuzzo.” Apuzza is the all time finger painting gold medalist, who won 6 straight gold medals before retiring in 7th grade.

The question now is, will success get to Jacobson’s head? “It already has, he walks around the halls wearing silk gloves acting like he is better than us.” Commented Cody Baker, a fellow student. “In art class he made fun of my Turkey hand and then spit on it. Everyone laughed.”

Jacobson has been even getting special treatment from the elementary school. “We created a personal studio for him. I know it is bizarre but he is bringing this school lots of media attention.” Expressed Principle Julius Juanes. “We even have a contract with Timmy that we can sell his finger paintings and other art works and we keep 20%. Last year we kept 50% but with this second gold medal he realized his value.”

When I spoke with Timmy, who showed up wearing the two medals and silk gloves, he explained how it was determination and hard work to get to where he is. “Doodie-heads think I was born with these amazing fingers. But that’s wrong. Simply wrong. I work so hard to get to this place. I have a picture of Mario Apuzzo above my desk that motivates me. If that kid could get 6, then I can get 7. No one is getting in my way. Not Cammie, not Terrell, not even God.”

Passionate words coming from a passionate 3rd grade finger-painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment